Monday, October 12, 2009

What Now?

The times they are a changing. . .

Last week after breastfeeding and burping I turned Maddy to face me. There she sat with her eyes wide open just staring at me with the most precious look you've ever seen. Normally, this would have been followed by a screaming cry and multiple attempts at soothing would occur. This time, she just sat there, staring. We both looked at each other thinking "What do we do now?"

I got excited. Could we play a little? I rushed her into the nursery and grabbed a book. I love books (I am a teacher after all)! She sat in my lap and stared at the pictures in The Runaway Bunny, and Goodnight Moon. What still awake and not crying? What next?

We had some tummy time. Here we had our normal fussiness. I thought this was the end of our peaceful moments together. I rolled her on to her back and the crying stopped. The cute staring began. A toy! Grab a toy for her! I shook a rattle in her view and she followed it in an arch all the way across to the other side of her body. OMG! She's smart! I really had no idea. All she does is cry.

She still fusses and cries most of the day, but I am encouraged during her times of peaceful alertness. We will get through this trying time. She will play more. She will sleep more. She will grow up. We will miss this someday.

3 comments:

  1. You will miss it! Very wise of you to know this in advance.

    Those crying jags are so trying, when all you want in the world is for your baby to be calm and happy. I know how exhausting it is, emotionally and physically. You are doing such an amazing job of mothering your Sweet.

    I loved laying on the floor and reading board books. One of our favorites is "Love and Kisses" because it has so many chances for you to kiss your daughter.

    We have the board book edition:

    http://www.amazon.com/Love-Kisses-Sarah-Wilson/dp/0763620114/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1255404291&sr=8-2

    Big hugs! Enjoy those calm, serene moments...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yahoo!!! I found your blog from your link in Kami's comments. I came and saw your post... my baby was colic-city, too! My heart really FELT every word you wrote. "All she does is cry"... and the feelings when you have some of those happy moments. :) Eli cried pretty much all day every day for... 4.5 months (he is 7 mos now). I pray yours ends at the normal 3-4. It was the longest time of my life. One day he woke up different... it WILL end! Hugs! :)

    ReplyDelete