Thursday, February 18, 2010

Make It or Take It

Baby food.

What to do?

To be completely honest, I don't want to make my own. I feel like a bad mom for feeling this way. Aren't I supposed to be doing what is best? Is homemade really best or just the less expensive option? There are so many options now in the store, like organic for instance. Is it really worth the work? We don't even own a food processor so we'd have to invest in one of those or one made exclusively for baby food.

I think I am feeling guilty because it feels like everyone around me IRL and in the blogosphere is making their own. I think this has something to do with the women I follow. Most of them are determined, intelligent, driven women who have been lucky enough to kick infertility's ass and are now kicking ass as a mom. Why don't I feel like kicking ass and making baby food? I kicked ass and breastfed. Still am. I guess I just don't feel that passionate about baby food. I feel lazy instead.

So, to all of you out there who do make their own baby food, why do you do it? What is your motivation? Are you looking to save some money? Do you not like the idea of jar food? Share your thoughts please. . .

5 comments:

  1. My number one inspiration-money! I also have two mouths to feed. I don't find that it is much extra work and well worth the effort for the money I save. I also like making things so its kinda fun and I get to play with the blender and food chopper(We got it for x-mas and it was $40)! I guess I get some satisfaction knowing exactly what they are eating and that there are no horrible chemicals and preservatives and the like. But I could just as easily buy organic which is what I will do when we travel. I actually just did some googling and came up with this

    http://www.cspinet.org/reports/cheat1.html

    which kinda made me feel better about making my food. I know it's all food and no filler. But ultimate it's all about the Benjamins! I paid $1.50 for a 5 pack of pears(tiny pears because its winter) which yielded 1.5 ice cube trays which is roughly equivalent to 12 jars I guess? A lot of jars, how 'bout that? I'm cheap, what can I say? Plus I work at a grocer so I can pick my produce off the trucks and buy the super ripe fruits at discount!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE to cook and it only seemed natural to make my daughter's food, since I would not want to eat pre-packaged food for dinner either. I used our food processor, so I did not have the upfront cost you would incur, but it will save major bucks.

    I also loved blending stuff, trying new things, and not feeling bad if she ate a bit and I had to toss it- since it did not cost me three bucks! The kicker with A was that she loooooved to nurse but did not love to eat solids, so I did not make as much as I would've wanted, but I found it so fun!

    Serioulsy, if you are going to hate the process, don't bother. Do some research and find a good organic brand or two!

    Hope you are doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did it because of the money. It worked great but after awhile I got lazy and quit. I did it for probably months 4-7 but then I was over it and started buying jars. I just used a steamer and a blender, or else boiled things to death and then threw them in the blender. You don't need any fancy equipment. I got the steamer at goodwill :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I honestly don't think homemade is any better. In fact, I asked the ped and he said it's all about the same. The jars are air sealed so they don't have a bunch of preservatives in them (but then, I am NOT an all-natural, nature-loving, tree-hugger either). NOT that you are! I'm just saying. I feel like several people who make their own are those "we are better than everyone else b/c we make our own baby food and use cloth diapers" kind of people. I didn't want to so I didn't. I'm a working mama! And believe me, my 40 pound toddler is perfectly healthy (oh but she's also almost 40 inches tall so she's not fat). Ok, this comment is now going nowhere, ha! Sorry! I say do what you think is best :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey honey!! i missed you too...i forgot all about your new blog! i will be commenting now. by the way your lo is ADORABLE

    ReplyDelete