Thursday, February 4, 2010

Five Months







How did that happen?

Oh wait, I remember, very slowly at first. I swore she would scream and cry the rest of her life. I thought my baby would be the one who would never outgrow colic, never smile and never, ever, laugh. I'm proud to say we have overcome! Things got much better around the four month mark. Is life "perfect" with a five month old? Yes, and no. It's perfect because I have a five month old. It's not because, well, she's five months old. Here's what she's up to now. . .

Crying- Waaaaay less. She cries now if she is overtired or hungry. She no longer cries in her carseat (unless she is said overtired), after a bath, or during tummy time.

Smiling- Waaaay more. She can be such a ham with people. She doesn't mind being passed around and flirts a little closed mouth smile with most everyone she meets. She is not a big laugher though. You have to work really hard just to get a short chuckle. I wish she'd do it more.

Sleeping- It's okay. She still wakes up once a night for food, usually around 1 or 2 am. The stretch after the feeding has gotten longer. The last week or so she doesn't need to eat again until 6 or 7 am. So for now I don't mind the nightly feeding. I am considering working to drop it all together at six months. Naps are okay too. She wakes up like clockwork after her first 40 minute sleep cycle so we are working on getting her to go back to sleep after. This is where the crying usually occurs. She is still tired, but can't get back to sleep.

Eating- She is a "power eater" this girl can nurse like nobody's business. She eats so fast that I am afraid she is not getting anything, so I keep trying to shove her back on only to have her spit up copious amounts after the feed. She really only needs 10-15 (though more like just 10) to get enough. That's about 5-7 minutes per boob. I've realized now that is just how she eats and I need to be grateful and get over it already. She can go 3-4 hours now without eating. It's amazing that my life doesn't revolve around feedings anymore. She is still eating oatmeal twice a day. I will stick with just this solid for another month, then I will move on to veggies.

Pooping- Much less now. Every 2-3 days. I've heard it slows down anyway about this time. I think it was a coincidence that we started cereal around the same time. She is not constipated and never really was. She just goes less. She farts at every feeding though. Man can she let 'em rip! I find it hilarious.

Developing- I am in awe at all the things she can do now. She is so strong. She rolls both ways easily. She wants to reach and grab and put everything in her mouth (especially her new-found feet). When she is on her tummy she tucks both legs underneath her and raises up on them. If her upper body were stronger she'd be close to crawling, but thakfully she is not. She does most of her "talking" (babbling, shrieking) when she is tired. We found a "Jumperoo" on craigslist for cheap. She gets frustrated in it because she wants to put all the toys in her mouth but she can't reach that far. She still has no idea how to jump in it. So far I'm glad I did not pay full price.

More Sleep- We still swaddle her for sleep. We still velcro her swaddle to her wedge so she can not roll and wake herself up (as evidenced by the picture above). I worry about the day she can no longer (or no longer wants to be) swaddled. She is so crazy with her rolling. I can't see her ever calming down long enough to fall asleep. Not to mention the limbs that go flying out through the bars and the head baning. You see I am paranoid and afraid of those "deadly" bumpers. I see some sleepless nights in our future. . .

Oh and I have a cold. Thanks a lot first graders. Breastfeeding, you better pay off with all your "immunity" powers. . .

Five months!

Our life has changed.

Our life is better.

I see now why people like their children. :)


















3 comments:

  1. I LOVE the Bumbo picture! She is so cute! And look, she's SO happy too :) Congrats! I can't believe how fast time starts to fly once you have a child!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY!!! I'm so glad it's over and you survived!! Yay for liking our children! :)

    ReplyDelete