Sunday, March 28, 2010

My Big Girl (well, not really)


Will somebody feed me please!


I mean it people. I need to grow!


Next weekend Maddy will turn seven months! That is starting to sound really old. She'll be a seven month old trapped in a four month old's body (and I'm being generous with four months).

She is still.so.small.

Everybody says that she looks so cute, like a little doll with her blond hair, blue eyes, and teeny tiny body.

I was a bit discouraged after her six month appt and worried that my milk supply was not keeping up. I started taking fenugreek (finally- not sure why I didn't start this sooner) and pumping three times a day when not at work to try to supplement her feedings. She doesn't feed very long at all. She gets so distracted even when I go into another, quieter room. I'm not sure if this is from her reflux, her developmental curiousity, or she just isn't that interested in nursing anymore. This behavior I suspect is hurting my supply. It's like a slippery slope.

She doesn't seem hungry all the time. If nothing else is bothering her like gas pains or reflux, she can easily go 9 to 10 hours without eating at night. She eats a good amount of solid food now too. If it were all my lack of supply, you'd think she'd start gaining once on solids. This doesn't seem to be the case. I think she's growing long, just not fat. Her arms are like little spaghetti noodles.

She's meeting all her milestones and is full of energy, so I am not too concerned. It just get so hard to hear people remark how small she is all the time. I feel guilty and responsible because I am still her main source of nutrition. I've given thought to supplementing with formula, but she has so many issues with reflux and her digestive system struggles with anything other than breastmilk. I'd be afraid this would mess with her uneccessarily. I do want to start weaning her this summer. My goal is to go nine months. I don't think we'll make it a year. I don't think I have it in me much longer. So she will be on formula eventually. I'm hoping by then her system will have time to mature. I'm assuming she will be at the bottom of the growth scale at our nine month appt.

I am starting my research now. How many of you supplement or rely on formula for feedings? What kind do you use? Maddy's is very sensitive and gets constipated easily and suffers from reflux still. Any suggestions for a formula? Help!

3 comments:

  1. We used goodstart but only because it was the cheapest and I had a friend give us several cans. Similac makes an "easy on tummies" version. I do know that formula babies are much chunkier. However, I'm sure Maddie is JUST fine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had to supplement to bring them home and these boobies just couldn't keep up with two hungry babies! We were on enfamil premature formula and then switched to the triple advanced something something formula. AKA the good stuff. I know they have a reflux formula, sensitive tummy formula and night time formula too. Make sure you sign up for the coupons and Sams/BJ's usually has combo packs but it only on the regular from what I've seen around here.

    I exclusively pump now so we make half and half bottles. We'll use more milk if it's available. If you are really worried about her weight the premie formula is high calorie and really plumps them up quick! I'm sure she is just fine though, all that matters is that she is happy and thriving!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maddy looks so cute sitting in a high chair. What a big girl! She does look like a doll. When my 11 years walks around the store with Kate people always think she is carrying a doll and get so shocked when they see she is real.

    Looking back I think my 1st daughter might have had very mild reflux. I nursed her for 3 months before I switched her to Prosobee. She was refusing to nurse and crying when I fed her. I couldn't tell if she was in pain or hungry or what. Once I put her on the soy formula she was fine. She even put on a little more weight then normal.

    You are smart to nurse as long as possible for Maddy's sake. It seems like she suffers a lot from reflux and formula might have aggravated it more. I'm scared of that happening to Kate so I have a hard time trying to get her to take a bottle.

    The fenugreek really does help with milk supply. Oatmeal is really good too. I was told to eat that every morning.

    ReplyDelete