Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Almost 12 Week Update

Here's our recent happenings:

NIGHT SLEEP: I am almost afraid to type this for fear of jinxing everything. Maddy has been sleeping in her own crib all night for almost two weeks. I do her last feeding at 9, rock the hell out of her until 10 to make sure she is good and out and then DH comes in to do his master swaddle technique (I must not do it tight enough. On the nights I do it she wakes up for a middle of the night feed). Most nights she will sleep all the way until 7 or 8 in the morning. Now I know this goes against some experts who say that they should learn to fall asleep on their own and not on your breast or in a rocker. Well, screw those experts! A baby with colic is a different story. Anything you can do to calm them and get them sleeping through the night is pure gold. We'll fix bad habits later. I need my sleep now.

COLIC: Again, I'm afraid this whole post will jinx me. It is getting better. Far from completely over, but oh my gosh, so much better. The number of inconsolable meltdowns is dwindling. The fussiness remains but seems to be easier to remedy. Some days are still bad, but it seems the number of good days are growing.

NAPS: Tricky. She still has a hard time putting herself to sleep. She was born without an off switch. She always has to fuss herself to sleep, whether she is being held or not. The fussing isn't as bad when we're holding her. Putting her in her swing is torture for her. She screams like we've strapped her into a torture chamber. Sometimes she'll knock off for a few minutes and then wake up screaming again. I am getting so tired of rocking her to sleep for her 30 minute catnaps. If I don't she won't sleep during the day and be a bear at night. I've tried swings, swaddling, you name it. She still eats every two hours during the day, so by the time she gets to sleep, hunger wakes her up. Ugh! Any advice?

PERSONALITY: Yay! My favorite part. She is making way more eye contact now. She recognizes DH and I from across the room, looks at us when we talk to her, smiles at us. She coos and squeals with delight. She's absolutely adorable and so much more fun to be around. I am finally starting to see why people love babies. :)

Happy Thanksgiving!

4 comments:

  1. All I can say is awwww! And... yay for sleeping through the night already!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the pictures on your blog header! So cute!!!! I hope none of the stuff you posted jinxes you because it all sounds like it's headed in the right direction! I hope she finds her "off" switch soon, but in the meantime those smiles and coos must make it a *little* easier to bear :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You need to do whatever keeps your sanity intact. If it means rocking her to sleep. Yay for all nighters. That must feel awesome! I hope her colic goes away 100% and soon! Keep us updated. I love the pictures in your header. SHe is adorable.

    Hugs,
    KAmi

    ReplyDelete