Thursday, September 16, 2010

She's Huge!

Not really of course.

But huge to me!

Maddy weighs 18 pounds, 8 ounces.  She has moved to the 10%!  Her length is the 21% and her head is the 48%.  So interesting dimensions to say the least- tiny with a normal sized head.

What is she doing at a year?

Walking:  Not unless she is holding on to something.  She's gutless- afraid to take those first steps alone.  Put her behind her push car or her baby doll stroller and she's all over the house.  She pulls up on everything but won't let go.  That girl does everything on her own schedule.

Talking:  Not really.  "Up", "Mama", maybe other words.  Not sure.  Not sure she even knows what she's saying are words.  She points to everything! She points and says, "ba!" or "da!" or badawa!" or any other combination of syllables.  I think she's a little behind in the talking department.

Social Skills:  She loves to play.  She scrolls through the songs on her keyboard, push car, stroller, block stacker (anything that plays music) until she finds her favorites.  Then she dances by shaking her butt up and down.  She still loves dolls. She actually plays with them.  She kisses and hugs them, covers them up with blankets, puts them in their little stroller and gives them a ride,  She did this all on her own with little encouragement from me.  She loves jewelry and shiny, girly things and I have to admit- I love it!  She still loves books.  She'll crawl over to me with a book in her hand and crawl up on my lap and wait for me to read it to her.  After two pages she'll crawl away, but hey, it's a start.

She does not however clap her hands together and she rarely waves.  They asked me that at the doctor's yesterday.  The nurse was filling out some form and she asked me about clapping.  I said no and she looked at me like I had two heads.  "She doesn't clap her hands?"  I said, "No.  She bangs toys together but she doesn't clap if she's happy."  I felt like a failure.  She does so many other things.  Should I care that she doesn't clap?  Damn!  These milestones are killing me.

Sleeping:  Great at night.  CIO was the best thing I ever did.  Ever.  Now if her teeth are bothering her she just whines at night and tosses and turns until she gets back to sleep.  I don't have to go in there.  Naps are becoming trickier.  I know she still needs two naps a day.  But lately she has trouble falling asleep in the morning, even though I know she's tired.  I let her try for an hour to get to sleep.  If she doesn't I get her up and we try again around noon.  On those days she only gets one nap.  Or other mornings she sleeps over two hours in the morning and then has trouble getting to sleep in the afternoon.  Those days are terrible- the days she misses her afternoon nap.  I hear they start transitioning to one nap in the next few months. 

When did your baby go from two naps to one?  What was your transition like?

5 comments:

  1. If we are home, two naps are easy-peese! It's when we are at my cousins for the day that the second nap becomes an issue. So at 14 months I think I can say we take 1.75 naps a day! Emma is in the 10th for weight and height and 95th for head circumference! She even wears the next size up just to get it over her big head. I love her to death but she looks a tad off sometimes and it's so heavy that she doesn't have total control over her neck sometimes. Thanks Dr. for giving me something else to worry about.

    I HATE the milestones! HATE THEM! The looks, the questions, blah blah blah. My kid will do it when she is ready! If she is 5 and still in diapers not talking-we'll talk. Don't ask me, I'll ask you! We're having the same walking issue. Mine can even stand straight up from a sitting position in the middle of the room. They can do calf raises and squat and this little bounce dance-but they won't walk. They will push chairs around, use their walkers, the horses, and walk along the furniture and walls but absolutely refuse to take a step. Even with us very close they will stop, sit, crawl, and stand again! The Dr. assured me that I would have them walking before a year too! Ha!

    I'm glad she is growing into a girly girl! She helps offset my non-girly girls! Isn't it fun to look back on the last year? Goodness I've rambled!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, she is getting big! You must be so happy to have her in the 10%. She sounds like she is thriving, I wouldn't worry about the milestones. My first walked at 14 months and my second at 10 months. They do it when they feel like it. I didn't even realize clapping was a milestone. Maddie sounds so cute and girly! I'll have to get something for Kate to push around, oh and dolls too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I washed her hair THREE times to get the peanut butter out. First, I had to use my hands and throw clumps of it into the trash can b/c I was afraid I was going to clog the tub! Then, the last time I washed it, I had to use my conditioner and basically comb it through. It was a huge mess! The bad part is, she did it again today! This time, I don't know HOW she was able to get the peanut butter down. I can't even go to the bathroom w/out her getting into stuff!

    ReplyDelete